The Trick To Getting Rid Of Ants In Your Oklahoma City Home
September 15, 2022
Ants are usually most problematic in Oklahoma in the spring and summer months. During this time, they work in large colonies. While some ants are only considered nuisance pests with the potential to cause property damage, others are health hazards. Regardless of the species, ant control can be challenging once the pests infest your home. Several factors, such as the colony's size, species, and entry points used, determine successful techniques for ant control in Oklahoma.
The most effective way to determine a successful approach is to turn to Oklahoma City pest control professionals.
The Life Cycle Of Common Ants
Common ants undergo metamorphosis consisting of four stages: egg, larva, pupa, and adult.
- Egg stage: The life of an ordinary ant starts as an oval, tiny and soft egg. The nest uses some eggs for extra nourishment, which do not become adults.
- Larva stage: The egg hatches into larvae that require a continuous food supply, which the adults provide.
- Pupa stage: The larvae grow fast and, when it is large enough, become a pupa. Pupae resemble adults, but their antennae and legs fold against their bodies. Their bodies become darker with time, and some species produce cocoons for protection.
- Adult stage: Eventually, the pupa metamorphoses into adults. When they become adults, their exoskeletons restrict them from growing any larger. The adults belong to the queen, worker, or male castes.
Ants undergo most of these stages deep within the confines of their colonies. Most people experiencing an ant infestation will only see the adult ants as they scavenge for food and water throughout the home.
The Problems Ants Can Create In Your Home
When ants invade your home, they become a nuisance and cause several problems. The types of issues depend on the type of ant.
Nuisance: Ants around your property are a nuisance and move in large numbers. They crawl into the common areas in homes, garages, and trash cans and climb on the kitchen counter, making homeowners feel overwhelmed.
Property damage: Most ants don't cause property damage in homes. Carpenter ants can cause property damage as they tunnel into wood and furniture to establish their nests and colonies. If they find wooden structures that suit their nesting needs, they will take advantage of them and cause damage.
Food contamination: Food attracts ants, which also nest anywhere. They will crawl into trash cans and nest on a wall in your food cabinet. They get into food packages contaminating them by spreading harmful bacteria like Salmonella, E. coli, and Shigella, among other bacterial organisms.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants In Your House
Consult an Oklahoma pest control professional for effective ant control in your house. In addition, you can try ant control solutions at home to rid your home of ants.
Set a bait to locate the nest. Lure the ants using a mixture of baking soda and sugar to lead you to the nest. Dismantle the nest. Once the bait leads you to the nest, destroy it by spraying a mixture of one part water and one part vinegar. Remove scent trails. Some ant species, like carpenter ants, use pheromone trails to travel and locate food sources. Use essential oils, soap, and water to wipe down the surfaces they have traveled on.
How To Prevent Future Ant Infestations In Your Home
Here are some ant prevention tips to stop an infestation:
- Don't leave out food for long periods. Clean up spills and seal food containers in your pantry as food draws ants.
- Seal cracks. Check for cracks and holes in windows and baseboards and seal them to prevent ants' entry.
- Fix leaking garbage cans. Leaking outdoor receptacles and garbage cans attract ants.
If you destroy the nest and infestation persists, call an Oklahoma City pest control professional to stop the problem. Killin' It Terminate And Pest professionals know how to get rid of ants using environment-friendly techniques.