Frequently Asked Questions About Rodents
What are rodents?
Rats and mice are types of rodents and two species likely to invade our Oklahoma City homes.
What mice, rats, and all other rodents have in common is their continuously growing front incisors. They use their sharp front teeth for gathering nesting materials, feeding, and as a means of defense. Unfortunately for us, they will also use those teeth to create openings in our homes they can use as entry and exit points.
Keeping rodents out of our homes is difficult because they want to live with us and take advantage of the basic needs our properties offer them.
It can also be challenging to determine which type of rodent has invaded your property. Often adult mice and young rats can be confused with one another, and it can be tricky to identify the exact species of mouse or rat present. Accurate identification by a professional is key to successfully eliminating these pests.
Are rodents dangerous?
There are many dangers associated with rodents like mice and rats. These beady-eyed pests should never be allowed to feel comfortable in our Oklahoma City homes.
Below is a quick overview of some of the biggest problems rats and mice can cause in our homes.
- They spread human pathogens and parasites that cause serious illness in people.
- They contaminate surfaces and food with bacteria they carry on their bodies and in their excrement.
- Rodents use their sharp front incisors to cause structural damage and destroy personal items like clothing and bedding.
- Gnawing rodents can damage wires, pipes, and vents, leading to short circuits, fires, and moisture problems.
- Rodent excrement, urine, and shed fur at their nesting sites will lead to unpleasant musty odors and allergens in your house.
At the first sign of a rodent problem in your home, contact an Oklahoma City pest control professional for help.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Mice and rodents seek out our yards and homes because they know they will have easy access to multiple sources of food, water, and shelter.
Our houses provide mice with a temperature-controlled environment; they will move indoors to seek relief from extremely hot or cold temperatures. Other benefits to living indoors include protection from predators, easy access to food, and a safe place to nest and raise their young.
Mice and rats are constantly looking for a free place to call home; don’t let it be your home. For year-round rodent control in Oklahoma City, give us a call today!
Where will I find rodents?
Both mice and rats are prey animals; therefore, they naturally want to live and spend time in places where they can stay out of sight of their predators. Rodents will retreat to and build nests in yard clutter, landscaping, woodpiles, and clutter within sheds and garages.
Rats and mice are also naturally curious, and if they are living in your yard, it won’t be long until curiosity gets the best of them and they enter your house. Cracks in foundations, gaps under doors, and vents and chimneys provide these pests easy access into our Oklahoma City homes.
Once inside, the invading mice or rats will quickly find a place to nest. Some of their favorite nesting posts include wall voids, crawl spaces, and spaces under furniture or behind appliances and cabinets.
How do I get rid of rodents?
Trust the experienced professionals at Killin’ It Termite and Pest to remove rodents from your Oklahoma City property. Rodent control is our specialty, and by partnering with us, your problems with rodents will soon be a distant memory. Our rodent control services include inspections, the placement of bait boxes, and follow-up visits to inspect and, if necessary, relocate bait boxes. We also perform minor exclusion work.
To learn more about our rodent control service, reach out today!
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
Use our most helpful rodent prevention tips to make it difficult for rodents to feel welcome on your Oklahoma City property.
- Remove areas of clutter from your home that provide shelter and nesting spots.
- Keep food out of the reach of their paws by storing pantry items in airtight containers and perishables in the refrigerator.
- Repair leaky pipes and faucets that could provide rodents with a water source.
- Take away their easy access in and out of your house by using caulk, steel wool, or another strong material to fill in gaps or cracks in your home’s exterior.
- Place screens over your chimney, drains, and vents.
For professional help keeping rodents out of your Oklahoma City home or business, call us today!
Recent Blog Articles
Rodents got you down? This guide tells you how to get rid of Oklahoma City rodents and keep them away with help from Killin' It Termite and Pest.Read More
Are you troubled by mice inhabiting your Oklahoma City home? Fear not. Discover how Killin' It Termite and Pest offers sound solutions to eliminate them.Read More
Wondering how to get rid of dangerous spiders in Oklahoma City? Killin' It Termite and Pest Control can help with removal, and prevention of these pests.Read More